Breast forms, also known as breast prostheses, are artificial breasts that can be worn inside a bra or attached directly to the body. They are typically used by people who have had a mastectomy or other breast surgery, or who have a naturally small chest and want to create the appearance of larger breasts.
Breast forms come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials. Some are made from silicone, while others may be filled with foam, gel, or other materials. They may have a realistic texture and appearance, with details such as nipples and veins, or they may be smooth and featureless.
eople may use breast forms for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common:
- After mastectomy or breast surgery: Women who have undergone a mastectomy or other breast surgery may choose to use breast forms as a way to restore their body image and regain a sense of confidence. Breast forms can help to create the appearance of a natural breast and balance out the body's proportions.
- For gender transition: Transgender women may use breast forms as part of their transition process, especially in the early stages of hormone therapy when breast growth is limited. Breast forms can help to create a more feminine silhouette and help with gender dysphoria.
- Improved body image: Breast forms can help individuals who have undergone mastectomy or other breast surgery to regain their body confidence and improve their body image. Wearing breast forms can help to create the appearance of a natural breast and balance out the body's proportions.
- Alleviating gender dysphoria: For transgender women, breast forms can help to alleviate gender dysphoria by creating a more feminine silhouette and helping with gender presentation. Breast forms can be used as part of gender transition, especially in the early stages of hormone therapy when breast growth is limited.
- Size and shape: It's important to choose breast forms that are proportional to your body and fit comfortably. Consider the size, shape, and weight of the breast forms, and how they will look and feel when worn.
- Material: Breast forms can be made from a variety of materials, including silicone, foam, and gel. Consider the durability, texture, and feel of the materials and how they will interact with your skin.
- Attachment method: Breast forms can be attached to the body with adhesive, in a pocket bra, or with other attachment methods. Consider the ease of use and comfort of the attachment method.